The updated version of dyne:bolic, a live CD with a collection of multimedia software has been released. Heres the announcement:
"Dyne.org foundation proudly present dyne:bolic 2.5.1, code name "Dhoruba", a 100% free multimedia GNU/Linux operating system. What's new in 2.5.1? Support for Java (now GNU GPL) out of the live CD is the special entry of this release, along with bug fixes and snappy support for network booting of thin clients with BOOTP/PXE as documented in our manual. Ekiga has been moved out, but the Iaxcomm and Kiax phone applications (Asterisk native protocol) are pre-configured to work with Blasterisk, the experimental ((i))ndymedia telephone service - just press hash. Upgraded software includes X.Org 7.2 and MPlayer."
What's New in Version 2.5.1:
- Support for Java (now GNU GPL!) out of the liveCD is the special entry of this release, along with bugfixes and snappy support for network booting of thin clients with bootp/pxe as documented in our manual.
- Ekiga has been moved out, but the Iaxcomm and Kiax phone applications
- (Asterisk native protocol) are preconfigured to work with Blasterisk, the experimental ((i))ndymedia telephone service - just press hash.
- Upgraded software includes Xorg 7.2 and Mplayer.
- Documentation is being updated to reflect the current setup in detail as well facilitate translations and customizations.
pure:dyne is launched in the wild world of artistic software and
Dyne:bolic GNU/Linux is a live bootable cd, containing a whole operating system that works straight from boot, without the need to install or change anything on the hard disk.
If you like and want to have it on harddisk you can simply copy the /dyne directory on your computer: the simpliest installation ever! Your older system is untouched and comes back booting without CD.
Dyne:bolic is user-friendly: recognizes your hardware devices (sound, video, firewire, modem, network and USB) and offers a vast range of software for multimedia production: audio and video manipulation, sound composition and synthesis, 3D modeling, photography, peer2peer filesharing, web browsing, veejaying, desktop publishing, word processing, cd burning, email, encryption, anonymity tools and more.
All software is free and there is no market operation behind dyne:bolic, just a communal effort to widen access to modern technology and let people be Free to Create.
Dyne:bolic is being developed since 6 years by independent and well skilled artisans optimizing it to run on computers commonly found in Africa America Asia Europe and Oceania. It includes code from hundreds of programmers all around the world, with a lively community of artists, teachers and developers who use, distribute and adapt this platform according to their needs and desires.
You can download dyne:bolic 2.5.1 Dhoruba at here.