sidux is a full featured debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations, a clean upgrade path within sid and additional hard- and software support.
sidux is a desktop-oriented distribution and live CD based on the unstable branch of Debian GNU/Linux. It was originally created by a group of developers who split from the KANOTIX project and launched their own distribution.
The ISO is completely based on debian sid, enriched and stabilized with sidux' own packages and scripts.
Release notes for Eros Preview 1
This preview heading towards its fourth sidux release "Eros" concentrates on X.org 7.3/ xrandr 1.2 and X detection related changes and testing the new upstream kernel 2.6.23 and its wlan/ mac80211 capabilities. For testing purposes all legacy wlan drivers for RaLink and Intersil ISL3880 wlan cards have been replaced by their new mac80211 based counterparts (rt2x00, p54).
Further efforts have been invested into an advanced USB installation and live persistency framework (feedback welcome). Various updates, fixes and adaptions have been applied to basically the complete package list and a lot of translation- and localisation related endeavours were started to improve the situation for our non english/ german speaking users. What can be done until the final release in regard to better localisation support and integration or support for alternative window managers and desktop environments is currently under consideration.
The full featured final release of sidux 2007-04 "Eros" will be ready in about 2-3 weeks, intermediate xdeltas will be provided as needed until then.
Highlights of this Sidux preview release:
- amd64 (AMD64, Intel Core2, newer 64 bit capable AMD Sempron and Intel Pentium 4 CPUs (watch for the "lm" flag in /proc/cpuinfo or use infobash -v3) and i686 (Pentium pro/ Pentium II, AMD K7 Athlon or newer).
- debian sid, as of 2007-10-29.
- kernel 18.104.22.168 (smp, hard preemption).
- libata support for parallel ATA systems.
- X.org 7.3, KDE 3.5.8 (en + de), completely new X.org probing, finally amd64 compatible.
- new USB fromiso Installer.
- new artwork created by cleary and the sidux art team.
- offline manual for en + de directly on the disc, online manuals for more languages online at here and available via apt. The offline manual is only available on the running live CD or the installed system.
- iwlwifi3945/ iwlwifi4965 1.1.19.
- b43/ b43legacy support for Broadcom wlan cards.
- rt2x00 2.0.12 support for RaLink cards.
- support for RealTek RTL8187 wlan cards.
- support for ADMtek ADM8211 wlan cards.
- support for Intel 82801I, 82566DM-2, 82562GT-2, 82562G-2 and 82562V-2 Gigabit Ethernet cards (ICH9).
- enhanced hardware support libraries.
- fw-detect to probe for hardware with non-free needs.
- overhauled partition and file system detection.
- basic lvm2 detection and support (no installer support).
- several X.org 7.3 and kernel 2.6.23 related bug- and compatibility fixes.