March Linux aims to be a Simple, Lean and Fast GNU/Linux distribution for the desktop which urges the users to learn linux instead of holding their hands at every step!
At the same time, it is usable and fully functional with almost every software that one might need being available. It is heavily based on Arch Linux, which is IMHO the coolest distro on earth! In fact, we prefer to call March as a "distrolet" of Arch!
The default desktop in March Linux is Fluxbox. The current version is 1.0 BETA, to start off with. Currently, March is available only as a Live CD (built using the Linux Live scripts).
Just like Arch Linux, from which it is derived, March is also a lightweight and flexible distro which tries to Keep It Simple! Configuration is very easy, mostly involving editing of text-files. Although a few GUI config tools are available, they all try to be compliant with the Arch way, which essentially stands for "freedom of choice, keep it simple, learning, and user-control". This is what the guiding philosophy of March aims to be!
At the same time, March Linux offers you a ready-to-run environment with a Fluxbox desktop and a host of useful apps!
You can do the following right out of the box :
- Listen to music and watch movies in a variety of formats, record sounds
- View pictures and perform graphical editing
- Connect to and browse internet, check emails, download via torrents, perform ftp transfers
- Play a number of cool games, including a few DOS based ones
- View and edit document files, create spreadsheets, view pdf-s, perform calculations, take notes
- Do small programming in a number of languages with an IDE
- …… and many more!!
Download March Linux at here.