Time Line of Linux distro for 1992-2007


It was started a few years ago with Linus Torvald' announcement:

"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like GNU) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things). I've currently ported bash (1.08) and gcc (1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-) Linus (PS. Yes - it’s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc.), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-(.”
And today it’s timeline is shown at this image:




0 comments:

Delicious Digg Technorati Reddit Furl BlinkList Yahoo! NewsVine Netscape Google Live Bookmark Netvouz Squidoo StumbleUpon Magnolia.png